God’s Will – God’s perfect plan for humanity.
Recap – Dedication to the Will of God
- The chief goal of God’s will, is that He be glorified
- God’s will, is to advance His kingdom
- God’s Will is for Christ to be Lord
The Will of God requires you to:
- Live a pure, sanctified life. “For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality;” 1 Thess 4:3
“Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.” Rom 6:12
- Rejoice, pray & give thanks. “Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 1 Thess 5:16-18
- Mature in faith. “Therefore let us get past the elementary stage in the teachings about the Christ, advancing on to maturity and perfection and spiritual completeness, [doing this] without laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,” Heb 6:1
- Produce fruit season after season. “You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.” John 15:16
- Be in close fellowship with other believers. “Fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.” Phil 2:2
Clearly Paul’s joy was not complete with the Philippians! Among them was disunity and lack of harmony.
What does living harmoniously mean? (Read verses 2-4)
- Having the same love – to one as to another
- Being one accord – united in spirit
- Be of one mind – whole church to have same values and goals
- Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory – for selfish ambition
- Let each esteem other better than themselves – regard fellow Christian as more important than himself.
- Look…every man also on the things of other – be concerned for the needs and problems of his brother as he is for his own.
Rom 8:28 “And we know [with great confidence] that God [who is deeply concerned about us] causes all things to work together [as a plan] for good for those who love God, to those who are called according to His plan and purpose.”